Wednesday, August 4, 2010

By the Roadside...

I have passed by stuff left for the trash man a 1000 times, but inspired by Evie in her quest to reuse, recyle, and refresh found objects, I decided to pick up this chair two doors down from me.  It was a speedy, fervent event. Me: hoping not to be seen.  I'll get over it.  The chair is far from amazing, but since I am in shabby chic apartment decorating mode, I thought I would run it by A, my daughter and occupant of her first college apartment and see what she thinks.  Since she has some black and cream stuff going on in her room (and who knows if this will even fit..) I thought I would paint it black.  I will probably try to go the lazy way and spray paint it, although from past experience I know this can be messy and drippy.  You will see in the second photo that one of the spindles is broken. I asked P, Mr. Reluctant Fixer, if he thought the spindle could be replaced.  He sort of shrugged and said why not just saw it off and no one will notice. Besides, it's just for a college apartment.  I am not convinced it cannot be fixed, but for the sake of expediency, we can just go that way.. So here is the chair with its boo-boo...



2 comments:

  1. What an amazing find!! I'm jealous! I want someone to throw something like that out in my neighborhood! I think sawing the broken spindle off is the way to go for sure, and I am really excited to see what it will look like painted black! It is hard to get over the fear of being seen grabbing goodies off the side of the road, that's why, when I can, I make my sidekick do it, that's what he is here for right? You could also make a really quick and easy cushion for the chair with any extra fabric you have from all of your projects!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evie, Anna decided she did not want black. She is on more of a hipster vintage path.. so i will post a pic after she paints it.. I guess I need a sidekick. That would not be my spouse, however. It would have to be a pile of diamonds for him to pick it up from the roadside.

    ReplyDelete