Wednesday, September 1, 2010

The Venerable Work Shirt: Then and Now

 

When I was my daughter's age, a key element of my wardrobe was a chambray work shirt or two.  Mine were Levi's brand, in a men's small.  I am not sure they were even made for women then.. It was a light blue chambray (a kind of cotton that is much thinner then denim), collared, a little tab at the collar, I think double front pockets with a little place in one of them for a pen and the little Lev's tab on the left breast pocket, long sleeved, long tails.  I wore the shirt in phases:  freshly ironed, somewhat frazzled, and completely grubby.  During the freshly ironed phase I would wear it with jeans, tucked in, and maybe a blazer. Or untucked with a white turtleneck (those were big) under it and a hand-tooled leather belt slung low on the hip.  As the shirt became grosser I would knot it in front, mostly unbuttoned, wear it with grungy jeans and my Frye boots (which A wears today).  Hand made leather items were big, so I had hand made leather sandals, a hand made brown belt, and a saddle colored hand made leather purse. This was sort of the look , minus the classy shoes.





Recently, A has been interested in a chambray work shirt. Unfortunately, mine is no longer around.  Boo hoo.  So I looked around and it seems they are on the market in abundance, both in "my" style, and in modified versions. I could not, however, find a duplicate of my Levi's workshirt.. Here is what I found...
Gap
J Crew
Blue product thumbnail image
Banana Republic-$69.50


This one is pretty close to my old shirt- $14.99 on ebay (plus shipping).  The work shirt revival is almost as dear to my heart as Frye boots.  What is your old clothing passion? 
90's Vintage Denim Chambray FADED Boyfriend Work Shirt

No comments:

Post a Comment