Friday, March 28, 2014

Don't Let Your Credenza Go Naked: Dress it in Style!

The Credenza:  a sideboard, buffet, or a bookcase patterned after a Renaissance credence...  A credence is a small table where the bread and wine rest before consecration. 

Who knew? 

Call it what you may, it is my favorite piece of furniture. It can be used just about anywhere - a foyer, a bedroom, a living room, and office, etc.  It can have a mirror over it or a great painting or an assemblage of your favorite photos, vases, collectibles.  I personally like a credenza with a great painting over it (lit with a picture light), a beautiful silver tray, selections of great Scotch (I hate the stuff but it is pretty) and some nice lowball glasses.  We have several sets of these (they are just fun) : 


So, I have two nice credenzas at my shop Everyday Ellie. (https://www.facebook.com/pages/Everyday-Ellie/219469831560755
Here they are.  

Marble inserts, lacquered a creamy white by Steins http://www.steinsfurnitureandrepairs.com/antique-restoration-services-raleigh-nc.html


Gray lacquer, also professionally lacquered by Steins, this one has a matching mirror. It's large and heavy...

I am not in the shop at The Warehouse at 1107 Capital Boulevard right now, so I can't actually play with them, but here are some ideas for styling a credenza lifted from other sources. Use your imagination! 


This little blog addresses the subject nicely. They refer to this as a "fauxdenza" because a) they made it and b) it has no legs- but it captures a nice modern approach.  I love the grouping of 8 photos above and the cool industrial lamps.  They actually drilled holes in the top of the fauxdenza to conceal the lamp cords. Brave, is all I can say.



The Decoist has a lot to say on the topic, with a decidedly contemporary take.  These range from sleek to rustic- take a look at the credenza in all it's versatility. 





All of these are interesting- for different places in different homes. My favorites are.. the ones I made larger.  I love the diamond pattern in the bottom image, and the really textural mix of materials that reflect the owner's interests.. the two interesting lamps, the airplane, the photos the zebra rug- it's all an appealing assembly.  Not for your traditionalist, but perfect for the loftIdreamofinhabitingbutprobablyneverwill. 

I also love the credenza with the great blue glass.  Its a great combination of rustic and refined, light and heavy. The four images above are from http://www.decoist.com/2012-12-11/20-modern-credenzas-with-contemporary-flair/

I can't leave without a word or two for the traditionalists.  So I give you some of the credenza or credenza-ish photos from my own house! 


An old pine chest in the sunroom.. 

In the foyer, a simple greeting space


... and in the living room a table made from glass and pillars in front of a huge mirror..

I actually have a couple more.... but I am sure you can do a better job of dressing your credenza.  Send me your photos and if there are no x-rated contents I will post them! 

Enjoy your home.. it's where you want to be at least part of .. everyday. 


and in person: 

~The Warehouse at 1107 Capital Blvd~ 





No comments:

Post a Comment